Thursday, March 3, 2011

When the Night Comes...

Since Ken is working and I'm on Maternity Leave, I have pulled "night duty" with Mattison. "Night duty", sadly, does not involve sleep as Mattie is wide awake from about 1:00 am until 4:00 am. Mattie loves to be held which makes for difficult multi-tasking and blogging, but great for cuddle time:)  Thankfully, Mattie does ok for about a half hour in her swing, allowing me to go to the bathroom, respond to a few emails and take a deep breath. We'll get to the sleeping. I know we will :) 


It is during these hours I feel like I must be the only person awake in the world (except for Jaq, a million miles away in Cambodia who I can undoubtedly find on g-chat and occasionally Andria Harriman whose rug-rats and/or rigorous conference call schedule often keep her awake in Arizona). Now, I know there are parents all over the country that are awake with newborns, kids not on sleep schedules and sick kids. I also know there are people coming home from the bar and those with overall insomnia awake during these times as well. These truths leave me extremely confused as I ask myself-- why is late night TV so horrible?!


I DVR everything I can and even then,  I have watched the Proactiv Katy Perry infomercial multiple times (you'll be glad to know that Proactiv is also endorsed by J Bieber, Jessica Simpson, Avril Lavigne and Julianna Hough). I can recite the P90X infomercial and can even point out the benefits of a few other work out fads. Nightly, Sex and the City episodes run for a couple hours-- edited and filled with commercials. The movies on our 30 movie channels are horror movies and old Steven Segal thrillers, with a nightly viewing of Sleepless in Seattle ("A ho! A ho! My dad's been captured by a ho!"). Let me be clear-- I'm not a TV snob in the way I am a paper snob-- I'm not looking to learn the intricate details of the Declaration of Independence or how machines work. I'm easily amused as I love small screen gems such as Saved by the Bell, Gilmore Girls and Dawson's Creek.  However, you hit 1 am and bam, TV turns to shit. Tonight I even noticed that Jersey Shore had a few hours of episdoes on in a row-- a path I am not willing to walk down. 


So tonight I decided to put the trashy TV away (after I caught up on American Idol and Jimmy Kimmel of course) and put some music on (Dan Auerbach, the Black Keys and Adele were my choices this evening-- if you're unfamiliar, start with Auerbach and take a listen http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYeUhHVt5I8) and read Mattie the first chapter of Matilda. I know she has no idea what I'm saying and I get that it's probably asanine to begin reading to my 23 day old baby but it was really calming and a great excuse to read one of my all time favorite books...and just like clockwork, by the end of the first page, she was FAST asleep :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment