Friday, March 11, 2011

Got Milk?

Nobody REALLY tells you of the crazy things that happen when you have a baby. You get the cliffs notes  version that somehow seems to be missing some of the really important details, including the ENTIRE chapter on breast feeding (I mean, c'mon, boobs leak?! Where was that morsel of information?!).

For Mattie and me, breastfeeding was recommended by our doctors and ultimately our decision. I wanted to be able to provide as many antibodies as I could for her before her big surgery. For the last month, it's been going well but it's still a strange occurrence. Truth be told, whether you follow the bible or Darwin, one thing remains true, boobs were put on the earth for this very purpose, breastfeeding. A woman gives birth, they fill up with milk, enabling her to feed her offspring. It should not be strange, yet for me, it is.  This whole, baby is hungry whip your boob out in public is completely out of my comfort zone and absolutely crazy...

Last week, for example,  our cleaning lady (she comes about once a month to do all the stuff we don't have time or want to do) came inside and walked right up to me while I was nursing Mattie in private. She ripped the blanket off my covered chest, and stuck her face as close as she possibly could to Mattie's face, without competing with Mattie for the goods :) I was shocked, awed and completely uncomfortable. I still cringe thinking about the awkwardness.

Instances like that, although comfortable are helping me become less modest about when and where I feed her, yet still aware of how it makes people around me feel. I understand not all people are "baby" people. Hell, before Mattie, I would consider myself "not a baby person". When I went to get my haircut on Wednesday the gay stylist said "ew" when I told him I had a baby, and although rude, I got it. But now, a month later, I am completely a baby person. I make up songs, I make faces at kids in line at the grocery store, I sing silly songs. And I love it.

When it comes to feeding, baby person or not, it's a necessity. She has to eat. If Mattie is hungry, it's go time and unfortunately I can't reason with either Mattie or my boobs to be patient, regardless if I'm in the presence of baby people or not. Thankfully, companies have created "Udder Covers", "Peek A Boobs", "Bebe Au Lait" and the "Hooter Hiders". These are cloth like aprons that cover the goods and ease the uncomfortableness and awkwardness of whipping your boobs out in public or being completely exposed. Nothing takes the place of privacy behind a closed door, but these products get an "A" for effort.

MOO!
So bottom line, breastfeeding is challenging and there's absolutely nothing hot about it. I'm feeding her almost every 2 hours and completely at her beck and call. Do I feel like a cow? Absolutely. I even tell Mattie she better "Mooooo-ve it" when it's taking her too long to get comfy.  But at the end of the day, it's a really neat feeling to know that I am providing for her and helping her get big and strong every day! Plus it's helping me plan ahead-- I'll never leave home with out a tshirt and my hooter hider :) MOOOOOO!


No comments:

Post a Comment