Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Aww Snap.

It's 2am. I'm tired. Mattie is crying, no, screaming, as I try to wrangle her out of her super cute, super button/snap filled onesie to change her poop soaked diaper. I'm not talking two or three snaps near the crotch, I'm talking snaps from the neck to the crotch, each one harder to snap than the next. Her legs are flailing as it looks like she's trying to do the Ab Ripper X workout from P90-X-- the bicycle exercise to be exact. The longer she's naked the louder she cries--either this girl is extremely modest or she really doesn't like the cold! By the time I get her unsnapped and un-diapered, her feet have gotten in the dirty diaper or due to the flailing the dirty diaper's goods are all over the changing table.  Snaps be gone-- this has to be easier!

Ken and I can strap a diaper on this girl in record time, but the snaps are what get us every time. You get the sleeper snapped and you reach the top snap only to realize you misaligned one of the bottom snaps and have to start over. Sadly, this event doesn't just happen at 2 or 4 am, it happens through out the day, after the bath or before bed. The only thing that snaps consistently is me and my patience (I can give you Ken's number if you want those stories). 

Thankfully, extremely savvy (or perhaps just practical) moms and dads have come up with a few solutions that seem to be ok. Sleep sacks and zippered sleepers all seem to have what it takes to make my life a little bit easier. Sleep sacks, both with the open bottom an the zippered variety have become a nighttime lifesaver. Mattie cries, but the moment she's covered we find silence (and solace).  
Fabulous Sleep Sacks-- Snap free, but still a struggle to get her head through the top.
What's that? Sounds like you may have a solution you say? Oh how I wish. These sleep sacks are often covered with characters, slogans (Mommy's Little Cutie), are far less cute than those clothes filled with snaps and truthfully, aren't typically appropriate day time wear.  What's a lil' fashionista to do?!

This morning on TV I saw a new company advertising their new and improved onesies- "Magnetic Baby Clothes" from the company Magnificent Baby (http://www.magnificentbaby.com/default.aspx?id=1). Who needs snaps and zips when you have magnets!? I was so excited, Magnetic closure clothes that were cute?! GENIUS!  I immediately went to their website, only to learn one short sleeved onesie was $25 bucks, not including shipping and handling. Last week I bought a 5 pack of onesies at Babies R Us for $7.99. It was a true cost benefit analysis. Was $25 plus worth a happy baby and mom? The cost of the onesie is far less than the benefit of Mattie not crying and her mom not losing it, but the way she's going through onesies these days just wouldn't make sense:)  Back to the snaps and zips for this family! 
  
Aw snap, it looks like Ken and I are going to have to get over the snap-phobia and practice speed snapping and careful zipping on our down time! Plus, it's an early lesson to Mattie-- the things we do for fashion :) 

1 comment:

  1. Didn't I get her some night gowns?? Gap has some cute gowns,and if her legs are too cold,( no snaps) put some pants or tights under...just wait till she learns how to take her clothes off,those poopy diaper stories get much worse:)

    * Bobbie*

    ReplyDelete