There are homes that are divided—die-hard Michigan fans marry die-hard Ohio State fans, die-hard Alabama fans breed with die-hard Auburn fans. Across the nation these homes are seriously divided on football Saturdays and Sundays. They hang house divided flags outside their homes and drive cars with house divided license plates. From the outside, Ken and I appear to be the house divided--a Notre Dame fan and a Michigan fan—oh how will we make it through football seasons and maintain our sanity and our marriage!
This year, I'm proud to say we'll be just fine. Truth be told, I’ve never been a fan in the true sense of the word, I love sports, I do, but for me it’s been different. I’ve seen the other side. I’ve seen the hours the coaches and support staff put into their teams, I’ve seen the criticism the coaches and athletes must endure, and have seen the fickleness and unrealistic expectations of the fans. Because of this, I have learned to switch allegiances on a dime, and support whichever team my family and friends are affiliated with. On Wednesday, our once potentially divided house became united as my parents decided to move 20 minutes down the road from Ken and I and become apart of the University of Michigan football family, a family I grew up a part of. It was especially sweet this time as long time family friends, the Hokes, would be leading the pack to “restore” a program that, let’s be honest, needs a little TLC :)
Let me be clear, I will ALWAYS be a Notre Dame Softball fan. I will ALWAYS be thankful for the opportunity I had to play college softball at Notre Dame and receive such a prestigious degree, a degree that has undoubtedly helped me get to where I am in my career today. I will cheer for Notre Dame on football Saturdays, continue to support the Monogram Club and be a part of my Alumni Club. When I hear the Notre Dame Fight Song and walk the campus, I will get chills, its inevitable and unavoidable, but when I hear the Michigan Victors March, I will sing a long (and not the dirty word version, Notre Dame friends), I will hope for victories (even against my alma mater) and wish my dad the kind of success he deserves after 35 years in the coaching profession.
As Mattie grows up, I will tell her stories (the censored ones, obviously) about the traditions and amazing experience I had at Notre Dame. Ken and my dad can tell her about what it means to be a part of Michigan and all the storied traditions and successes U of M has been a part of. The best part is, it won’t stop there- Bryan and Julie can plead their case for Iowa, the Sanfords can persuade her to be a part of Louisville, the Addazios at Temple, the Durkin’s/Marottis at Florida, the Headblooms/Roberts/Donehoos at Grand Valley State and EVERY year that will have the potential to change.
The good news? We won’t be the house divided and we never will be. When she’s old enough, Mattie will be able to choose which school she wants to support, even if that’s Notre Dame (Insert Ken eye roll HERE). Until then, bring on the Notre Dame cheerleading uniforms AND the Michigan onesies—this girl has a lot of football to support this fall. Until then, say it with me friends, you can do it—Go Blue!


Lisa,
ReplyDeleteWe were shocked, shocked I tell you, not to see your photo including Mattie's GVSU gear! ;-)
With love,
Alan & Kim
Go Lakers!